Friday, April 29, 2011

Jackson Pollock

So, this week in Western Art and Culture After 1400, we studied Jackson Pollock and the artistic "genius" of his action painting within Abstract Expressionism.

He was not always this expressive action figure that he is known as, but he used to produce nicely thought out compositions like these:


In his transition period between this work and the action painting we studied in class, we find the University of Iowa owned (which was recently an item of huge controversy) Mural:


I much prefer the earlier work compared to this, but I much prefer this to work from the "height of his career" such as Autumn Rhythm:


This is the piece we have to memorize for our final exam and this is probably my LEAST preferred work by Jackson Pollock. Now, I don't want to be some douchey art critic, but I will ALWAYS prefer a well-thought and composed piece of art work compared to something splatter-painted. I know, I know it's not about how the piece looks, it's about the "act of doing it..."

Even though this action painting in the canon of Jackson Pollock's work is what he is known for and considered the peak of his artistic career, it is refreshing to know that it did not end this way. Toward the end of his career, we find pieces like this:


... which I actually think is pretty neat!

Anyway, I realized that even though my life currently revolves around being an Art History student, I have never made some nerdy blog post of some rant about art. Don't even get me started on feminism. I hope to make a post soon about the influence of critics in both art and music because I find it fascinating how much crappy art and music has been ADORED because of these guys... even though it sucks.

1 comment:

  1. I just googled "Jackson Pollock" and found this. I thing its not just about doing it, for me the abstractions are giving. The context is tough that I´m studying analytical philosophy at the moment, and I¨m also drunk (listening to jazz). Anyway I found this was kind of giving at this moment. Please contact me if your going to Kph or Scania so we can talk art and get drunk, PS: I¨m not a creep or stupid, just very open minded while drunk, it is a vice from a sober perspective.

    ReplyDelete